Couples therapy and marriage counseling focuses on helping partners clarify their shared goals and collaborate to work towards issues and accomplish goals. Often couples that are struggling to work through their issues are able to reconnect in couples therapy and find their way back to a healthy and strong relationship.
Couples therapy can help for people find clarity who are facing a specific, serious problem or contemplating a separation or divorce. it can also be beneficial for couples who want to improve specific aspects of their relationship or be better connected.
I am experienced at helping couples identify and work through their problems, improve communication skills, and meet their relationship goals. I provide a safe space where couples can feel secure opening up to one another, where they can be honest about feelings or concerns, and where they can receive the support and skills needed to help them cultivate a loving partnership and a strong, stable relationship.
While the course of couples therapy and marriage counseling must be tailored to a couple’s needs and specific issues, in general, this type of counseling involves:
- Opening up a dialogue between partners
- Pinpointing the challenges a couple may be facing
- Setting goals and objectives for the couple
- Giving each member of the couple tools and new options for transforming their relationship
- Identifying ways of avoiding unhealthy habits that may be affecting the relationship
Some of the specific issues and concerns that I am skilled at helping couples work through include (but are not limited to) issues that involve:
- Intimacy and affection
- Faithfulness, trust and possible infidelities
- Anger and arguments
- Communication issues
- Conflict with extended family, including in-laws
- Responsibility division within the partnership/relationship
- Financial concerns